Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Waiting



Waiting can be really difficult.  I've been thinking about how waiting is such a huge part of life.  There never seems to be a time when we aren't waiting for something.  You wait to find love, then you wait to get married, then you wait for kids.  You wait for the perfect, fulfilling job, then a better salary, then retirement.  You wait for the weekend, then your next vacation.  As soon as I finish breakfast, I wonder what I'll have for lunch.  It doesn't end.  I am growing in being attentive and content in the present, and I also continue to wait.  There are big dreams in my heart - from having a big dog, to publishing a book, to marriage and children of my own, to serving God in marginalized areas of the world - that require a great deal of patience.  

So, I thought, if I'm always going to be waiting for something,  I'd better figure out how to wait well.  With that quest in mind, I asked a few people to share stories of what waiting has looked like in their lives.  I hope these next two posts will bless you to read as much as it blessed me to hear these wonderful women share.  It seems, in all waiting, there is something beautiful in giving ourselves to the process and the One who is sovereign and near to us always.




"I must give myself completely to Him. I must not attempt to control God's actions.  I must not desire a clear perception of my advance along the road, nor know precisely where I am on the way of holiness.  I ask Him to make a saint of me, yet I must leave to Him the choice of that saintliness itself and still more the choice of the means that lead to it."  -Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment