Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Waiting: A Mother's Perspective

Thank you to my beautiful Mom, Denise, who shared this piece of her story.




I always wanted a baby.  I got married young, when I was twenty.  My husband said he was not ready for children.  Meanwhile, my friends were busy reproducing.  Sometimes I ached when I went to baby showers to share someone else’s joy.

Finally, after five long years, I was pregnant.

I was utterly thankful to God and to my husband.  In my third month, I started to bleed.  The doctor told me, “If it stops today or tomorrow, the baby’s probably fine.”  That night, the bleeding stopped.  Everything was okay.

I went for my fifth month check-up and the doctor said, “Something is wrong.”  Either I was only three months pregnant, or the baby had died inside of me, because my uterus was only big enough to accommodate a three month fetus.

They sent me for an ultrasound.  Ultrasounds were rare in the ‘70’s.  The technician’s words were, “The baby has no heartbeat.  It’s not alive.”

A couple of days later, I went to the hospital to have my womb cleaned out.  Back in the maternity ward after the procedure, I lay there recovering next to a sixteen year old who was eight months pregnant and in danger of losing her baby.   A nurse came in with a baby in her arms. 

“I’m looking for yours.  What’s your name?”

“My baby died,” I replied coldly.

“Don’t worry.  You’ll have a baby soon,” she tried to be reassuring.

Back at home, I continued to bleed.  My womb was trying to finish delivering what remained. 

Two months later, I discovered I was pregnant again.  This pregnancy was healthy.  To be safe, I went in for an ultrasound at eight months.  As I laid on the table with my greased belly, the technicians said, “We’re looking for two, right?”

“What?”

“Well, we found two fannies, so we’re looking for two heads.”

On March 4, 1977, after twenty-four hours of labor and a C-section, my sons were born.  Brent Carter was 9lb. 4oz. and 22 inches long.  Bryan Scott was 5lb. 15oz. and 20 inches long. 

Bryan and Brent, age 28 months


God is faithful.  God heard my cries.  Prayers are not always answered the way you want them to be.  I was elated to have two babies, and I never stopped wanting my first baby.  My prayer both times was, “Lord, save the baby.”  The first time, the baby died; the second time, they lived.  You walk with God no matter what.

Waiting for something you want so badly is incredibly hard.  God’s the author of my life.  He knows, He cares, He’s there for me.    


My Mom with Brent and Bryan, 1978


No comments:

Post a Comment