Friday, June 29, 2012

The Showdown

Fear sat on a low, three-legged stool in the corner of a boxing ring,
Oiled muscles glistened in the spotlights.
He thought of his lady friend and the spaghetti dinner that would be waiting.
A hangnail diverted his attention now,
His coach checked in briefly, “Piece of cake, Champ. Piece of cake,”
With a slap on the back.



I sat across the ring like a stunned deer crossing the road at night,
Eyes wide and alert, lean limbs skilled at fleeing.
I watched a mental movie of my past failed bouts.
Humiliating memories, but the soundtrack was pretty decent.
Strong hands grasped my shoulders from behind and a face pulled close to my ear.
“Say my name,” he said.



A crowd in shadows was on their feet, with a rush of cheers and whistles.
The well-groomed announcer bent, weaving between ropes,
Took a breath long enough to let his slot of fame linger.
“Ladies and gentlemen, I welcome you here tonight to witness a spectacular showdown!
In this corner, we have Fear! The Author of Nightmares, the Terror of Terrors!”
Fear sauntered forward, arms overhead, encouraging the crowd.
The rafters rattled with the stomping ruckus of his dedicated followers.



Nodding acknowledgement and raising his hand like a traffic cop, the announcer regained the floor.
“And, over here, please welcome tonight’s opponent….”
“JESUS!”
His name bubbled out of my constricted throat with surprising force.
I watched from my stool perch as my Savior calmly took His place next to the announcer.
Fear fell to his knees, face to the floor, yielded.
Jesus beckoned me to come and stand next to Him, under His arm.



“Folks, we have our WINNER!!!”
The announcer’s voice rang through the arena.
Half the crowd fled, everyone else broke out in celebration, like a kettle of popcorn over hot coals.
Jesus’ face was next to my ear again,
His whisper cut sharply through the din,
“I am your God. I will always help you.”



“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
All who rage against you will surely be ashamed and disgraced;
those who oppose you will be as nothing and perish.
Though you search for your enemies, you will not find them.
Those who wage war against you will be as nothing at all.
For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you,
Do not fear; I will help you.”

Isaiah 41:10-14



1 comment:

  1. this is good work, my friend. i needed to hear these words. ~k

    ReplyDelete