Friday, June 1, 2012

Cheese in Heaven (with apologies to Eric Clapton)

I've said goodbye to many foods in the past few months, and my well-being seems to be improving every day.  Every once in awhile, a yearning for tastes and textures of the recent past hit me.  Tonight, it was cheese.

I jogged to the PCC market down the hill to get special ingredients for my vegan, gluten free cookies I'm making for Sunday's church gathering.  I walked in, sweaty from running, drinking cold water from a Dixie cup and stopped dead in my tracks.  For there before me was a giant display (an homage, if you will) of cheese.  Oh golly, I spent the rest of the time in the store thinking about all the different ways to eat cheese.  PCC is one of those places that sells non-dairy "cheeze", but I'm not ready to go down that road yet.  Not yet.

As I left the cascading pile of glory behind to go measure out my bulk brown rice flour, I consoled myself with this thought, "Maybe I will eat cheese in heaven."

Thus began the song that entertained me for the rest of the shopping trip and all the way back home.  Sing along...

Would you know my name,
If I ate you in heaven?
Would you taste the same,
On my nachos in heaven?
I must be strong,
And carry on,
For I know cheese must belong,
Up in heaven.*



*Note to Biblical scholars:  I have no Scriptural proof that cheese exists in heaven, but I do have abundant Scriptural evidence of hope and healing.  I'm pretty sure eating lots of cheese can reasonably go in the "hope and healing" category. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, what is up with your diet?! I love the little ditty. ;) Can I eat cheese with you in Heaven?

    ReplyDelete