Thursday, March 22, 2012

Taking ‘Em Down By Seats




This afternoon, I accomplished a running goal with a rowing technique. It was wonderful.

When I jog around Green Lake, I sometimes indulge my competitive side by trying to pass every female runner I encounter. I’m not the fastest girl out there, but since no one else knows I’m racing with them, I can eventually pass. Guys are a different story. Even on a good day, all shapes, sizes, and ages of guys breeze by me. Not anymore though.

Pay attention, male runners at Green Lake: your breezy days are numbered. Today, I ran past 3 of you. 3 of you in my general age group, I might add (okay – in full disclosure, 2 of them were running together, but that counts!). What’s my secret? It goes back to my rowing days.

When I was in my early to mid twenties, I rowed with a private club on Lake Sammamish. I loved it. Being on crew teaches you so much more than proper stroke form. Life lessons abound. For instance, when racing, sometimes the most effective way to get in front of another boat is to think incrementally. All eight rowers will be working in unison, giving full attention and strength to each stroke. That’s when the coxswain will start checking off the other boats seats for you.


“We’ve got their stroke,” she’ll call out, meaning that our bow is now right next to their rower farthest to the stern.

We drive away from the foot straps with our legs, and smoothly pull the oars the rest of the way into our rib cages, leaning back slightly.

“Seven seat,” her voice is urgent and clear. We’ve gained another spot.

I am aware of the battle in periphery; my mind stays focused on the cox’s words and keeping my movements strong and seamless. Eventually, we are even with the opposition. Then come the victory seats. We start looking at seats not from the perspective of gaining on them, but on passing them.

“We’ve cleared their bow. GO!”

This is such a thrilling sequence of events to experience. It is so effective too. So, when I decided to pass some guy runners today, I knew from rowing that I couldn’t just whiz by them in a blink. I had to take them down by seats. I saw a guy ahead and made up my mind. Five minutes later, victory was mine! The part I enjoyed most was how assured I felt of being able to complete my goal. I didn’t waver or lag, I just kept up a good pace and mentally coached myself, “You’re taking down his stroke seat… Now you’ve got his bow…”

Is something in your life bringing you discouragement right now? Is there something you’ve tried to conquer, only to repeatedly fail? Or, does something feel impossible? I’ve got those things. I’ve got far deeper stuff going on than running goals. But here’s the thing:

What if you took your problem to Jesus and the two of you took it on, seat by seat?

No comments:

Post a Comment