Friday, March 16, 2012

Anne Prayer




In this world, there are two kinds of people: those who love Anne of Green Gables and those whose sister and mom once forced them to watch Anne of Green Gables. I am a proud member of the first group. As you may know, Anne had a propensity for getting into trouble nearly every day. I remember sitting with my mom, watching Anne blast Mrs. Linde for criticizing her carrot hair, or the time she fell off the ridge pole of Moody’s kitchen roof to one-up Josie Pye. In any given situation, Anne could find an accident. I felt for Anne. She didn’t mean to be the center of so much calamity. Every time I watched the movies, I took comfort in her beloved teacher, Miss Stacy’s encouragement: “Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it.”

As I sit on my bed here in the waking moments of my very own mistake-free-tomorrow, I am scared. I know myself. I am liable to make a mistake and tarnish the day before I’ve even left the house. Mistakes creep up on me like that: accidentally annoying my roommate, putzing on my computer instead of doing the Bible study I usually do when I eat my cereal, or stubbing my toe and cursing – even though I haven’t said a swear word in weeks. Heck, I am capable of messing up even when I’m trying to be nice. A homeless man could reject my offer to buy him a cup of coffee. I could make a joke that shames one of my students. Did Miss Stacy think about any of this when she dispensed her tidy counsel?




So here, I offer my Anne Prayer, for those of us who need space to mess up.

Good Morning Lord,
Today, I soak in the awareness, in the grace, of being held in Your ample hand.
Whether I am strong or weak; wise or foolish; proud or humble,
Here I am.
My connection to and place in You is the only thing that matters.
Whether I stand tall or fall flat on my face today, I know that I am undeniably secure on this unalterable foundation of “okay”.
I desire to do what is right and I will let You define what right means today.
I am really glad that I am acceptable today – all day – just because of my location.
Thank You for the death You died that allows me to find rest in Your hands today.
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I love your writing Brooke (or should I say Miss Caldwell).

    I have to confess that I never was an "Anne" fan, despite my one sister (your mother) who devoured the series of books. I think another sister grew to love Anne later in her life. Can you imagine that? It's not that I wasn't interested in her story, I guess I must have been focusing my attention elsewhere (perhaps on one of the cats I grew up with?).

    I do LOVE your Anne prayer, and I think that each of us could be reminded that despite life's circumstances, we must stay focused on what really matters. Our connection to and place in Him are a wonderful description of where we need to be.

    Thanks for your encouragement : )

    Love, Aunt Rene

    ReplyDelete