Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Graham Central Station

One of the bigger perks of living in the Midwest is having access to an ice cream store called Whitey’s. They offer smoothies, milkshakes, and sundaes, but I think those are offered because they needed to fill up space on the menu board. I can’t see any compelling reason to order anything other than a simple scoop of delicious ice cream. The folks at Whitey’s are happy to give samples of any flavor. I always know exactly what I want, but I taste another option first for the simple pleasure of variety.

Variety in ice cream is a fairly new concept for me. I remember going to Baskin-Robbins with my brothers as children. We’d carefully examine each of the 32 flavors, even pausing to voice our observations. “Bubble gum ice cream? I wonder how they got it to be so pink!” “Wow, that’s a lot of chocolate in that one. Look at the brownie pieces!” After thoughtful consideration, the three of us would come to the same conclusion: French vanilla (because it’s clearly more sophisticated than plain vanilla).

I don’t think Whitey’s offers French vanilla and I wouldn’t choose it if they did. My new fixation is a masterpiece called Graham Central Station. The fact that someone created an ice cream that tastes like graham crackers blesses me to no end, but it doesn’t stop there. They added a personal touch (shout out, if you will) for those of us who eat with texture in mind: sweet, slightly crunchy chunks of graham cracker mixed throughout. Jeremie and I fondly refer to these scoop sections as “bits” and he says the word with a slight lisp that makes me laugh. If I offer him a bite, I make sure it’s got some “bit action” in it.

Someday, when I move away from the Midwest, I will miss my Whitey’s treat. I am glad you can’t get it everywhere; exclusivity enhances its preciousness. I mean, having Whitey’s available all over the country would be like having a scoop of Graham Central with every bite containing a “bit”. Hmmm….that sounds pretty nice, actually.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I miss Whitey's! This summer they had a piano just outside and anyone in the community could stop and play for awhile. It was a great place to sit and enjoy a cone.

    Have you tried Heyn's Dairy yet?

    ReplyDelete