Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Preschool

Tie Maggie’s shoelaces
Three times today
Double-knotted, please

There’s a mess on the floor
Dominic helps with his child-sized broom
Twice as slowly as I could do it on my own

Sit on the floor of the Reading Corner
Four year olds draped over me like a shawl
Still captivated by each word, the fifth time through

Aubrey’s made some cookies
Jonah’s turning out a pizza
A play dough feast to share with their teacher

Someone’s crying
Again
Comfort, resist the urge to diminish their grievance

Ginger says someone had an accident in the bathroom so she can’t go
Crouch down and wipe it up
Serve this potty-dancing girl

So tempted
To cling to self
Assert my importance

Low pay is not me
Bathroom accidents are someone else’s job
I won’t be bossed around by a preschooler

Clinging to
Grasping for
Rights I never had

“Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave – just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and give His life as a ransom for many.” – Matthew 20:26-28.

No comments:

Post a Comment