Thursday, December 23, 2010

Joseph

Today, I met Joseph. I'm sorry to say that I know very little about him, except for his name and that "everything sucks" right now. Yet, those two bits of information did something big - they forced me to consider another person's humanity and to pray for him. That wouldn't have happened if I'd been in a car.

Joseph was standing next to a freeway off ramp with a wet cardboard sign that read, "Build Christmas Karma. Help Me." If I had been driving by, I would have given him an apologetic smile and left it at that. I probably would have felt badly about not helping him, but would have been able to rationalize my decision. Today was a little different. I was walking home. I was sharing the same rain as Joseph, the same splashes from cars, the same traffic noise. Barriers were missing and we shared a physical spot in the world, even if our situations differed.

At first, I crossed the street behind him and looked back at his face after I was on the other side. My mind played the tape it keeps on hand for rationalizing in situations such as this: "He might be pretending to be down and out to get easy money.... I shouldn't reinforce begging....There are better ways to get on your feet....I can't help every single homeless person I meet...."

More quickly than usual, the tape stopped and truth took over: "God doesn't differentiate His giving - He gives to whoever asks or is in need. This guy qualifies. I just got some money at an ATM and for whatever reason, I actually got $20 more than I needed. God is more than able to take care of me if giving to this guy makes me broke or he's taking advantage or something."

I crossed the street again and stepped through some stopped cars to get to him. We had a short conversation, I gave him the money, and asked how I could pray for him. Honestly, the best part was looking him in the eyes. Recognizing another creation of God and his immense value as such.

I'm left wondering what other ways we can remove barriers in life? How can we get in places of sharing spots in life with people in need - be it an emotional spot or physical? I'm grateful to those who set a precedent for me in ministering to the world. I feel like we need to testify and remind each other that it's worth reaching out and it's worth obeying God's little nudges. Because those people holding their signs next to the road have names. Because God is trustworthy and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment