Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What Would I Do Without J and Protein Bars?

My hands shake when I need to eat. My morning dental procedure prevented me from having lunch, which in turn made it difficult to twist the keys off my keychain. Candy, one of Arrowhead Elementary's office managers, noticed and offered to help. I freed the keys, handed them over, and tears began to flow. Moments before, I had walked away from my empty classroom feeling grateful for all the ways He had provided there. I was proud of myself for not being overly sentimental. What was it about those keys? They were my last connection. A symbol that I belonged there. Candy hugged me tightly and gave me a protein bar. As I drove home, I spoke verses out loud and felt renewed excitement for all that's ahead. When I shared this story with my roommate later on, she said, "That sounds like you." Many, many emotional moments in my life involve me crying and eating some kind of bar. In my version of the Book, Matthew 17:20-21 would read, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and proper blood sugar, nothing will be impossible for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment