Thursday, June 4, 2009

Get Over Yourself

Part of my preparation for working in China involves taking classes in July and August. A month ago, I received a large box of homework that is due when I arrive in Colorado at the end of July. I was pretty bitter about having to read multiple books and write academic papers in this time when all I want to do is play frisbee and go to barbecues. I've now read two of the assigned summer books and can honestly say I'm glad someone required me to read them (my attitude about writing the papers remains unchanged).

The most recent book was "China Road" by Rob Gifford. Up until now, I've been largely focused on how I will thrive in China. How will my teaching situation work out? Will there be any parks near my apartment? What kind of toothpaste will I buy (there are some exotic flavors available over there)? Reading this book challenged me to put myself on hold and think about life for a typical Chinese person. How are they surviving? What challenges do they face daily and in the near future? There are issues that reach far deeper than toothpaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment