Saturday, May 7, 2022

Mom Traits: TRANSPARENCY

This is the final post out of five that I've done leading up to Mother's Day.  Of course, my mom has more than five notable traits that make her who she is, but I've enjoyed highlighting these ones.

 

My mom with her first grand baby, Luke

 

This mom trait has two sides.  My mom lives her life as if to say, #1:  you are welcome to know all of me  and #2:  I’d love to know all of you.

 

There is no façade.  My mom doesn’t try to hide her failings or exaggerate her successes.  She just is.  When I was a teenager, I said something to my dad and my mom pulled me aside soon after.  She said something to the effect of, “What you just said bothered me because it sounds like the way I talk to your dad.  That is really disrespectful and I’m sorry I modeled that to you.  Let’s do better.”  She could have just told me to stop being rude, but she took the extra step to be transparent.  It made an impact on me.

 

As I grew up, I always knew that my mom would tell me the real answer to whatever question I had.  She was good at making her answers age appropriate, but she didn’t hold back beyond that.  Two of these instances stick out to me.  In a grocery store checkout line, I asked her what rape was.  She said, “That’s a sad one.  Let’s talk about it in the car.”  I quickly decided I didn’t want to know if she had to tell me in private.  Another time, she had rented the movie Schindler’s List.  I was probably 14 or 15.  I asked if I could watch the movie with her.  My mom said, “Yes, you can.  But you need to know that this will make you cry.  It’s okay to cry because this really happened and it was absolutely terrible.”  I sat next to her, watched, and as predicted – I cried.

 

A funny example of my mom’s comfort with sharing happened at a Kohl’s when I was pregnant with my first son.  It was my mom’s first grandchild and she went with me to pick out some cute outfits.  As our cashier rang everything up, my mom gushed her excitement over her grandbaby.  “I’ve waited so long to be a grandma.  I thought it was never going to happen!  Now, my daughter’s having a baby and my son isn’t using a goalie, if you know what I mean.  So, another one could come soon!”  I gave her a little smack.  “Mom!  Don’t talk about birth control with someone you don’t even know!”  My mom rolled her eyes, then reached over the counter and brushed the cashier’s long hair aside to see her nametag.  “There.  Her name is Kaylee.  Hi Kaylee.  Do you have any kids?”  Kaylee had an awkward smile pasted across her face.  “Um, I’m nineteen,” she said.  “Oh,” my mom replied, “Well, you’ve got plenty of time for babies later then.”

 

My mom lets other people be themselves too.  She welcomes the whole package.  We often laugh because it does seem like quirky people are attracted to her.  Even strangers on the street open up and share all sorts of things with her.  It doesn’t matter how long you’ve known my mom, she’s up for a deep discussion and is not afraid of any topic.  This is a wonderful quality.

 

I love you, Mom.  I hope you feel honored and know that your life is full of value and purpose - in the past and every day in the present.  Happy Mother’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment