Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Take Heed









I see you.









Three words like a soul earthquake,
Making rubble of lies grounded in cement:
God isn’t listening,
Get over your problems,
You are forgotten,
One of the masses,
Nothing special.


I organized a 72 student class into a neat row,
For Cheri and Barb to photograph.
one
by
one.


Why are we doing this?
I thought,
A trickle of sweat traversing my face.
We are taking away from the school day
To take over 500 individual photos.


Then I saw,
I heard.


“Hello Scovia!  Oh, look at you.  You are beautiful.  Smile, sweetie!”
Cheri clicked a shot.
“Joseph.  You are a child of God and he loves you so much.”
Barb captured his proud smile.

one
by
one

child
by
child

Each photo, each interaction, spoke loudly:


I see you.

You – you have a name, a purpose, a unique life,
And I am taking this moment ,
just
for
you.




I lifted a Baby Class child up on the high step,
Turned his name card so Cheri could see,
And call him by name.


“Isaya.  Hello!  This is going to be a great picture of you.”


His gorgeous, dark face,
Smudged with dust,
And runny nose remains,
Lit like a birthday cake
Glowing with celebration.


The light of one who knows he is seen.


child
after
child,

one
by
one.


Just so God could tell hearts this truth:

I see you,         I see you,                I see you.



You matter,
I hear you,
You are not forgotten.


God took me to a village
Tucked away from electricity
Hidden from notice,
In the dusty heat
Of a school courtyard
To show me how good His eyesight is.


He has not overlooked one single child.
Every heart, every life has a name,
a plan,
a    purpose,
a            love.


Every.
One.


















Do you have a heart to help?  To see more deeply into these one of a kind lives?  Click here and learn more at HEED.

3 comments:

  1. Brooke has captured the essence of our heart so beautifully. Stop for the one. Love the one. Intervene for the one. Love them One at a time, and God will give you enough love for each one. He will equip us to love and equip each one He has for us. Starting with 17 and growing to ...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke has so eloquently captured the heart of HEED. Stop for the one. Love the one. Help the one. Smile at the one. Touch the one. One at a time. And one by one, God has equipped us for the one. One by one we are loving over 500 amazing, unique, beautiful children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful God has blessed us to bless! - thanks Brooke

    ReplyDelete