Thursday, August 26, 2010

"You Know You're In Iowa When..."

I would have been hard-pressed to think of anything to put in that blank two weeks ago. Two weeks ago, I was living in Seattle, visiting family and friends after spending a year away in Beijing, China. Somewhere in the middle of that year in China, I had to make a decision about what I would do the next year. I prayed and researched all sorts of options. Doors in Asia closed one by one, and I found myself waiting for divine direction the night before my decision had to be made. While hanging out with close friends that evening, I leaned back against the soft couch cushions and recounted my decision-making journey.

"Why don't you move to Iowa?", one friend said.

Silence. A furrowed brow.

"Seriously!", she pressed further, "Of all the things you're invested in, why not move to Iowa?"

She was right - I was invested in Iowa. Or, rather, my investment currently lived in Iowa. I'd been pursuing relationship with a friend from Seattle who was getting an MBA at the University of Iowa. Things were going well, and as I let the idea sink in, it made sense to live in the same city.

Months later, here I am: sitting in an Iowa City coffee shop called T Spoons, drinking iced tea and looking out at the street as I type. I've been here just under two weeks, but I can fill in the blank pretty well already.

I know I'm in Iowa because....
-pedestrians seem to adhere to a town uniform; black and yellow with the word "IOWA" stamped somewhere on their person
-total strangers have plenty of time to chat with me
-I can buy corn and green beans at the Farmers Market that were picked this morning
-Amish families sell baked goods at the Farmers Market (hooray for Mr. Yoder)
-cicadas sing me to sleep at night
-wherever I drive, I'm bound to see a cornfield

So, here's to a year of exploring my own country. It's obviously quite different from exploring China, but my method will be similar: build community, observe details, try new things, and push my comfort zone. I'll start by getting myself a pair of jogging pants with "IOWA" on the bum...

No comments:

Post a Comment